July 31, 2012
Google is trying to clean up YouTube’s comments section by encouraging users to post their real names.
When a YouTube user now tries to comment on a video, a box pops up asking that person to start using their “full name” at the video sharing site.
The “full name” is taken from the person’s Google+ account since Google requires the real name of someone signing up for a Google+ account.
After the “start using your full name” box appears, you can refuse to start using your real name. If you do that, another pop up appears asking you to justify your decision. Choices offered by Google include:
- My channel is for show or character.
- My channel is for a music artist of group.
- My channel is for a product, business or organization.
- My channel is well-known for other reasons.
- My channel is for personal use, but I cannot use my real name.
- I’m not sure, I’ll decide later.